Wednesday, March 21, 2012

bOOKlist 2012, Chris.

1) 11/22/63- Stephen King.  Typical King, superbly detailed characters, crazy good idea for a story.  Got a bit longwinded and dry during some of the parts about Oswald but overall very good.  Tells the story of a man who goes back in time to try and stop the assassination of JFK.

2) The Exorcist- William Peter Blatty.  DO NOT READ THIS BOOK IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED, or frightened, but mostly OFFENDED.  This novel is profane in the literal sense of the word, i..e. Treat something sacred with irreverence or disrespect. (the filth that comes out of this little girl's mouth, i mean, really!?!)   Irreverence doesn't begin to cover it.  This book was fantastic, I had no idea it would be so good and so thought-provoking.  Led me to seeing the movie which wasn't half as good as the novel.  Again, do not even attempt this novel if you are easily spooked or offended.

3) The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins.  Just pure fun.  The first is Hunger Games, second one is Catching Fire, and third is Mockingjay.  Mom recommended this series, knowing i share her love of trilogies and epic story lines.  This is pure candy, fun from beginning to end and a super easy read, you can likely finish all three in a week or so.  Borrows heavily from the Stephen King short story "The Running Man", but in actuallity the books resemble the movie version of this story more than the actual story itself.  Main themes are the same, specifically reliance on family and friends and the evil inherent in most any system of government.  Timely themes for this day and age. 

4) The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman.  A dark retelling of the Jungle Book stories.  The main character grows up in a graveyard vs a jungle, and interacts with ghosts and monsters rather than animals.  A really quick read and a very eerie and disquieting story.  It is hard to tell where the tension comes from in this novel but it exists the entire way through.  Would recommend brushing up on the Jungle Book prior to starting this one.

5) The Jungle Books, Rudyard Kipling.  See above.  I loved these, had been a very long time since i thought about Mowgli and Bagheera and Baloo.  I had forgoten stories like Rikki-Tikki-Tavi were in the Jungle Books.  Great read, lots of fun.

6) Shadows in Flight, Orson Scott Card.  Need to be conversant with the Ender's Shadow story arc by same author, which is in itself an arc based on the Ender's Game stories.  Loved this book though it got tough reviews (not everything can be Ender's Game).  The main themes of these stories are the ethical evolution of humanity in space.  As grandiose as that may seem, the fun comes in the characters.  I challenge any of you to read both arcs, the ender arc and the bean arc (of which this novel is the latest) and not fall in love with both of these genius children.  I plan to eventually have two lab puppies, and they shall be named ender and bean.  Furthermore, if  I am ever blessed to have a son, he will be named Andrew after the title character of these novels (Ender). 

7) Ready Player One, Ernest Cline.  Quite simply the funnest book I've read in years.  THANKS MOM!!!(man, she really gets my taste in books!)  A must read for any child of the eighties.  The pop culture references come fast and heavy and the story idea is the most clever and original I have read in a long while.  I won't ruin the story but one read through of the synopsis on the back page was enough to get me hooked.  Of  the books I have read so far this year this is the undisputed champeen! and its really not even close.  This book is just that good.  (Kevin, if you are reading this, pop over to Amazon and order this book now.  I know you don't have any time to read but if you just read one single book this year, just one, make it this one.  The 80's pop culture stuff will transport you back to green acres and sitting in front of the tv on saturday mornings watching cartoons.  Trust me.)

8) The Crook Factory, Dan Simmons.  Am halfway through this one now.  Pretty good.  A fictional narrative about the last days of Ernest Hemingway.  Takes place while 'Papa' was in Havana and mostly takes place at sea or at the legendary 'finca' among the army of cats.  The story involves Hemingway setting up a spyring for counter espionage of nazi agents in Cuba during the opening days of WWII.  Like all Simmons I have read it can be somewhat dry at times but overall I am loving it and based on the build-up the payoff should be well worth it.  Plus, I'm sorta fascinated more with Ernest Hemingway the man then most of his novels (have always loved his short fiction more than the novels, especially sutff like Big Two Hearted River, Ten Indians, and Up in Michigan) and this novel spends alot of time painting a picture of Hemingway the man.  Plus, this is a great period piece including appearances by, among others, J. Edgar Hoover, Ingrid Bergman, Marlene Deitrich, and Gary Cooper.  Final verdict to come.







9 comments:

  1. I re-read all the Ender/Bean books just before Christmas, love them so much. Oh my gosh, ender and bean puppies and a grandson named Andrew, be still my heart! Reading the Jungle Books now, and will start the Graveyard Book afterwards. I agree with you, Kevin has to read Ready Player One!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Chris! I'm ready for Andrew just anytime now. And ender and bean. I will be available for babysitting duties for all. Haven't read the Jungle books but want to read them now that I have your recommendation . And the Graveyard Book.
    I heard from Lauren tonight and she is going to participate but for now is only reading textbooks and papers. She's coming home for Easter so I'm sure she'll get to start on her Tom Robbins collection then. I am now reading Bill Bryson's wonderful book A Walk In the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail.
    I want Kody and Lauren to devour this book because of their Appalachian Trail plans. Informative and amusing. Makes you laugh out loud in places.
    KEVIN Are you reading? Meghan, I know you read Water for Elephants. What else? Denise, Want to hear from you and Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MAN this makes me want to read! Okay, Dakota and I are going to come up with our booklist as of late. We'll post when we can! and I'll be sure to tell Dakota about that book on the Appalachian Trail- he'll love that I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, that book has given me a geological fascination like never before. I learned about an erased town,Centralia, PA, that has an underground anthracite coal fire burning since 1962. The whole town was evacuated , the pavements all feel hot through your shoes, underground temps exceed 1000 degrees. It blew me away to learn that it is expected to burn for 300 years before it burns itself out!
    This book is packed with ecological facts but also is charming and delightful.Hope you both get to read it this summer. Love you Lauren. Give Kody a hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recommendation Chris! Just picked up Ready Player One from amazon. I downloaded the Kindle App for my iPad with hopes of squeezing in more books during my commute...so hopefully I'll be able to contribute more this awesome family blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Kevin! Can't wait to get your recommendations and your take on what we are reading! Come home. We miss you!

      Delete
  6. Wow...what a fantastic story. I couldn't put this one down. It reminded me a lot of Ender's Game, especially the last scene when the group of kids were about to "log-in" together in an epic battle against an evil army of bad guys in space.

    It's easy to believe that this was Cline's first book, because although the concept and details were great...the character development took a back seat to the story arc. I wish the book had another 100 pages just describing what these people were feeling as they went through this mind-blowing adventure. Definitely looking forward to his next one.

    btw, Chris, you totally could have written this book. After reading it, even I'M motivated to try to write a book. When are you gonna unveil your first novel????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. btw, Chris, you totally could have written this book. After reading it, even I'M motivated to try to write a book. When are you gonna unveil your first novel????


      Ha! Reading this had the opposite effect on me as I realized that I could live another three hundred years and not write something as purely sugary fun as this. Novel has slowed to glacial pace, beginning to think its too big for me. Having alot of fun with short stories these days and hope to have a few presentable in time for the holidays.

      btw, sorry about D. Rose, bet the whole of Chicago had an emotional hangover this week.

      Delete
    2. oh, and i guess i should make my own login so i don't keep posting as aunt sandy. sorry!

      Delete