Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sandy's 2012 Booklist Continues

                     
                                       

SANDY'S 2012 BOOK LIST CONTINUES

I have been reading the Chet and Bernie Mysteries about a complex private detective and his great dog, Chet the Jet.

51. THEREBY HANGS A TAIL by Spencer Quinn ***1/2 light reading

52. TO FETCH A THIEF by Spencer Quinn***1/2 a fast read


53.  GHOSTLY MEN : THE STRANGE BUT TRUE STORY OF THE COLLYER
BROTHERS,NEW YORK'S GREATEST HOARDERS, AN URBAN HISTORICAL by Franz Lidz****
Very interesting book about two brothers well educated at Columbia U, one an engineer, one a lawyer.   They became reclusive at a young age and their 12 room mansion on 5th Avenue NYC became a hoarders paradise.  Twelve Grand pianos, a Model T, millions of newspapers,and  almost every musical instrument known to man.  I myself am a hoarder of all things sentimental, and everything I have is sentimental to me in some way. You may not know this but our  Gamama is a blouse hoarder, and Josh is a hoarder of all things musical so I really can identify with these brothers.


54. A KILLING IN IOWA by Rachel Corbett **1/2 A true account of a murder/suicide.

55. MAMA SAYS: A MEMOIR BY Peggy McClain Barr ** So So.


56.  THE CORRECTIONS by Jonathan Franzen****1/2   I love a Jonathan Franzen novel.  I love a vivid character study of family life.  I love this wonderful dysfunctional family and their struggles with parental decline.  Franzen won a National Book Award and was a finalist for a Pulitzer Prize in fiction for this book.  That was the year they awarded the Pulitzer to Richard Russo for EMPIRE FALLS and I have to say he deserved it.  Love, love Richard Russo and Empire Falls is one of my all time favorite books.  An intense novel about a failing New England mill town with in- depth characters you can see in your mind's eye.  If you haven't read Richard Russo I highly recommend that you try him. 


1 comment:

  1. Love the Chet and Bernie Series, so much fun to read from Chet the dog's point of view!

    ReplyDelete