Friday, May 4, 2012

BEST LOVED BOOKS CHALLENGE

My Dream Room
                                                      


Let's all name 5 all time favorite books right off the top of our heads.  Let's not over think it  just the first books that spring to mind.


               SANDY'S WELL LOVED BOOKS

1. STONES FROM THE RIVER by Ursula Hegi*****
An unforgettable, beautifully written story of a German town during  Nazi occupation.The main character, Trudi, is a dwarf librarian who know everyone in the town and is the keeper of their stories. Through Trudi, you get to know a cast of characters in the town trying to go through their normal lives while reacting to Hitler's propaganda. To me this book has it all-love and loss,births and death, devotion and inhumanity. This book will never leave me. To me it is a Classic.


2.  THE DOLLMAKER by Harriet Arnow*****This is a lengthy book that is depressing while also being uplifting and hopeful.  During the war, a poor Appalachian family moves north to the slums of Detroit in hopes of working for the war effort and having a better life. A story of struggle and endurance and of a Mother's love for her children. This is a book that makes you think of it long after you have finished it--kind of like you lived through it with this family. If you read one book this year make it The Dollmaker. Its lessons are many and important. An American Classic.


3. THE STAND by Stephen King ***** In my opinion this is King at his finest. You just can't beat a battle of good over evil. I have read this book several times over the years and find its character studies fascinating. I've never forgotten Stu, Frannie, Harold, Nick the deaf/mute boy, Tom Cullen,Glen Bateman,and of course Mother Abigail and Flagg.


4. SONGS IN ORDINARY TIME by Mary McGreggor Morris****1/2 This is a terribly long book and it is slow going at the start. You have to get through the first 100 pages or so before you are pulled into this family and their intricate web of lies and truths.  A 60's single mother struggling to raise her family gets hooked up with a con man.  The story is moving and sometimes humorous but totally unforgettable.This book doesn't really have an ending just a new beginning as the family picks itself up and gets on with their lives.  Loved it.



5.  ANOTHER PART OF THE HOUSE by Winston Estes
*****Remember how Pop Pop collected Reader's Digest Condensed Books? I first read this book in Pop Pop's condensed version and fell in love with the story. Re-read it several times over the years. A few years ago I found an original copy in the Houston-Love Library in Dothan! A very well written story of a Texas family during the Depression. If any of you are interested in having some of Pop Pop's book collection let me know, I have them all hoarded up at my house.

































 SANDY'S BEST LOVED BOOKS

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea, I will post my list today! It is hard to pick only five! Dying to read Another Part of the House, I remember that old Reader's Digest edition well, but haven't read it in decades. Sandy, your list has several I haven't read, but will do so now that I know they are favorites of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By all means pick as many as you like! These were just the first 5 that sprang to my mind when I thought we should all recommend some favorites to each other. They may have Another Part of the House at our Library it was highly acclaimed when it was first published back in the 70's. They post each weeks New York TImes Best Sellers List and check off the ones they already have or have ordered. It's usually every single book on the list. I love the YA section at our library too. Karen, the Librarian chooses some really great books. I have Daddy's condensed book of Another Part of the House packed up at my house. But you really need to read the full book to appreciate the story. I also have his copy of The Education of Little Tree. But you have to read the full book of that one too.

    ReplyDelete