Saturday, May 5, 2012

SANDY'S 2012 LIST CONTINUES








by Augusten Burroughs












57.  KILLING HOPE by Keith Houghton****
A free book on Kindle that I enjoyed.  Fast paced. About a serial killer and the super detective that handles the case. Once I began this book I couldn't put it down and finished it in one night. 

58. BREAKING TWIG by Deborah Epperson**** A southern story about the strength and endurance of the human heart.  Twig has so many struggles, mostly her vicious, abusive mother. Through incredible strength of spirit she perseveres.  This book was offered as a free book on kindle and is the authors first book.  I found several spelling and grammar mistakes in this book but  I like to find things the editor overlooked. Just saying. 

59. A VISIT FROM THE GOON SQUAD by Jennifer Egan****This novel won a Pulitzer Prize for fiction and I expected  it to be beautifully written but didn't expect the shape shifting format.  The book jumps through time at every chapter. Some characters are never heard from again by the end of the book.  This book is about people on the fringes of the punk music industry, a kleptomaniac, and the way lives intertwine over time. I enjoyed this book and think that when I re-read it later I will like it even more.


60. THE MILL RIVER RECLUSE by Darcie Chan **** Never think that some books offered for free on Kindle aren't gems because this one was free and a beautiful story. A first novel from the author, set in Vermont, and I loved these characters.   



2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read the Goon Squad book, I've read a few reviews of it. And you are right, there are some excellent books available for free on Kindle, many by first time authors. I love finding the good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't buy The Goon Squad because I'm sure we'll swap Kindles again at some point.

    ReplyDelete