Sunday, May 13, 2012

Chris' Mother's Day Post

Afternoon friends and family.  Thought I would take a brief moment to post a few of my favorite book referrals from dear ol mom.  My mom seems to have a similar impact on my literary taste as my little brother has on my musical taste.  She constantly puts me onto what become some of my absolute favorite stories.  She really knows where our tastes converge, but what is better....she knows where our tastes diverge.  Thus, when mom reads a book like READY PLAYER ONE, she knows immediately to tell me about it and knows right off that I'll love it.  On the flip side of that coin, I don't get constant reminders to pick up and read, oh lets say..the Twilight Series.  While mom has read this series and enjoyed it, she knew right off it wouldn't really be my cup of tea and told me so, saving me a the time of reading a series I likely wouldn't enjoy.  Very simply, if mom tells me I need to get and read a book I can generally count on enjoying it very much.  So, thanks mom! and HERE'S TO YOU!  Please keep referring!  And happy mothers day to ALL the great mothers in our family!


( in no particular order)

IT- Stephen King.  This is maybe the first 'adult' story I ever read.  I can't remember exactly how old I was when Mom referred this to me, but I'm almost certain I wasn't driving yet.  I didn't just read this story, I lived in it for weeks and weeks while I was reading it.  Some sleepless nights ( of which there were more than a few) were a small price to pay for this rewarding novel, one of King's best in my humble.  This book showed me what grown up fiction could be and opened the door to what is still one of my top three all time favorite authors.

Name of the Wind- Patrick Rothfuss.  This is maybe the best work of fantasy I have ever read, along with its sequel The Wise Man's Fear.  All works in this genre build off Tolkien, as is only right and true, but there is originality in this series that is unequaled in any other fantasy out there right now.  Just an epically gorgeous story, can't say enough about these books.  Trust that mom and I are both eagerly awaiting the final release in the series and will likely both be incommunicado for the first few days after the final book drops. 

Game of Thrones- George RR Martin.  Another fantasy series, currently a series on HBO.  This is a LARGE story, I'm on book four as we speak, and they are all at least a thousand pages, a very dense series.  The series has all you would expect from a good fantasy story, i.e knights, damsels, court politics and intrigue, battles, castles, even magic and dragons as the story goes along.  What separates this series from others is the moral ambiguity in all the characters.  With stories like Lord of the Rings you have a distinct line between the 'good guys' and the 'bad guys', the Game of Thrones series steps on, across, and over this line, blurring distinctions between good and bad and leaving the readers to make those choices for themselves.  Highly recommended.

Ready Player One- Ernest Cline.  I have reviewed this one for the 2012 book list so I won't go into much detail other than to say this is the funnest book ever

Silence of the Lambs- Thomas Harris.  I may have seen the movie first, not sure, but I do remember mom getting me to read the novel.  As good as the movie is, and it is one of my favorites to be sure, the book is as good or better.  Hannibal Lecter is one of the most complex, engaging, and terrifying characters in this genre.  These books are so much more than procedural crime dramas.  There is a deep undercurrent of psychology and sociology running through all the novels.  Furthermore, if you continue into the sequels-prequels, you will find Dr. Lecter is not the most evil character in the series, and you may even find yourself pulling for the good doctor against those who wish him worse than harm.

To Kill A Mockingbird- Harper Lee.  No introduction needed.  One of the most important works in American literature and written by a lady from good ol alabama.  I had to read this in high school and like so many books that are forced upon a student it was given short shrift, and read as a study, not a story.  I reread it not long after hearing mom mention it was one of her all time favorites and now holds a special place on my bookshelf and in my heart.  A must read for any child of the south.

The Harry Potter Series- J.K. Rowling.  Of course!!!  I have to say mom almost NEVER berates and badgers me into reading any book..ALMOST never....  This one she did, and I am so thankful.  I remember hearing her say over and over how awesome these books are, how much imagination and imagery are in all the books.  Finally, I consented to get over myself a little bit and try the first one.  While I still say the first one is written for smaller kids, it still had enough of a hook to get me onto the second one.  After reading the second one, I still figured it was a series for children but I was invested enough in the characters by that point and obviously intrigued by Rowling's imagination.  Thus, I read the third one and from there it was all over.  In my humble the writing and plot line take off from number 3 transforming the series into something to be enjoyed by ALL age groups.  To me, the entire series really takes off from #3, The Prisoner of Azkaban, and soon after I was eagerly awaiting the release of the rest of the series, just like mom.  For the release of the final two I drove from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham just to get a copy at midnight.  And yes, I felt like a great fool weaving through the line at Barnes and Nobles with my copy clutched tightly to chest, surrounded by squealing children in witch and wizard costumes, swinging plastic wands or plopped down in the middle of an aisle eagerly drinking in every word.  Once escaping the chaos inside the store I would have to sit in my car in the parking lot, 1 am, and read the first chapter before I could bring myself to drive back to Tuscaloosa for a LONG, LATE night of reading.  I am tremendously grateful for mom's persistence on this particular series. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow Chris, thanks for the tribute, you brought tears to my eyes. I have to question my wisdom at giving a teenager "It" and "Silence of the Lambs"! However, I remember when I was young and Gammama used to question whether I was old enough to read a certain book, Pop Pop always responded that if I was able to follow the story and enjoy it, then I was old enough to read it. I guess that always stayed with me. Love you lots, and keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, I love the way you write! Oh how I love the Potter tale-can just picture you in my mind in the car reading that first chapter. This Mother's Day post made my Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, Chris. Ready Player One... it's in the queue based on your recommendation(s).

    ReplyDelete