Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Meghan's List

I have been in Thailand for 16 months, yet I don't even have 16 books to report on.  I'm a slow reader.  Fortunately, this year has afforded me plenty of down-time, and I've gotten to read more books than average for me.  As Thai time is always slow, I've learned to carry a book with me so I'm never "waiting".  This year I've read alot about the part of the world I'm in, all from a Western perspective.  I've read books on India, China, Thailand, and Burma (and a couple about the circus for good measure!).  Before coming here, I can't say I had any real interest in this part of the world.  It is backwards from everything I knew before, in good ways and bad.  My friend P'Pomm compares it to a meatball on a stick, where Thailand is the stick's point of entrance and the US is the exit point.  I got in almost over my head, and at this point I am more than ready to return to some sleeveless shirts, good music, family, hugs, and understanding.  It has been a rough year, while at the same time full of amazing adventures.  Here's a list of the books that have kept me entertained on those quiet nights and long train rides:

Saving Fish From Drowning - Amy Tan - I just started this book today.  I'll update when I'm done, but as of now, 20 pages in, I love it already.  This story was given by a ghost to a transcriber, which Tan based the book upon.  There's a murder mystery to unfold in the Burmese wilderness... this should be good!

The Hundred Secret Senses - Amy Tan - Tan is a great storyteller, and this book weaves two stories--one from present day SF and the other from 19th century China--together through communication with the supernatural.  Intriguing characters, especially Kwan.

Yoga School Dropout - Lucy Edge -  I think I'd find this super helpful if I was planning a yoga holiday in India... but I'm not.  Thorough Indian yoga travel story, not brilliant literature.

Another Roadside Attraction - Tom Robbins -  Was Amanda's character created for me?  All my favorite elements smashed into one book by one of my favorite authors... I hated for it to end.

Food of the Gods - Terrence McKenna - Ethnobotanist talks about human evolution, altered states of consciousness, and our connection with the Divine.  Some parts (especially the archaeological sections) are dry and slow to get through, but this is a small portion of the book.  Overall an interesting read to shed light on an unconventional subject.

Reefs to Rainforests - Thom Henley - Natural History, Plants & Fauna, on 5 ecosystems found in Southern Thailand: mangrove forest, tropical forest, coral reef, mountains, and tidal areas.  This guides you through those hikes and swims, lets you know what you're looking at, and makes it 100 times more interesting.

Waterfalls and Gibbon Calls - Thom Henley - Natural history, Plants & Fauna, Cultural background, Park info on Khao Sok National Park.  Detailed info with great sketches and totally readable.

Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen - Gripping from the very beginning.  Laughing and crying within minutes of starting this book.  I LOVE THE CIRCUS! and TRAINS!  2 in 1 fun!

Real Magic - Wayne Dyer - An inspiring read about miracles and the power of living from the present with love.

Diet for a New America - John Robbins - Animal husbandry, pesticides, slaughterhouses, nutrition, science, all kinds of facts to help you convince your family that you are the normal one...  This book is SO old, yet surprisingly still relevant.  I found it lying around at the beach for free, but it might serve you better to pick up a similar read with updated stats if you're interested in knowing the truth about what you're feeding yourself.

Piano Demon - Brendan Koerner - (Kindle single) The globetrotting, gin-soaked, too-short life of Teddy Weatherford, the Chicago jazzman who conquered Asia.  Nice short read, interesting look back into history, from a view rarely exposed.

7 comments:

  1. Meghan, I love your list and the way you write!I also think Amy Tan is brilliant and love her books. Now that you've blogged I'm hoping your Mom and Bob will join us here --they read all the time! Lauren and Kody are going to post their list when they get a break. Hope you'll take the book challenge. I'd love to know which books spring to mind when asked what your favorite books are. I can't wait to see my girls! I hope to cook you some cream peas,corn, roasted new potatoes and squash casserole. What else are you craving besides slocumb tomatoes? I Love you Meg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that all sounds DELICIOUS!! :D Love you so much and I'm so EXCITED to see you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meghan, so glad you posted! I love Amy Tan and also Wayne Dyer, and would love to read some of the other books on your list. We can't wait til you come home. love, Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. should be there in a week or so! :) it will be great to see everyone! i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another Roadside Attraction is still one of my favorite Robbins. Amanda is one of the best Robbins characters ever, right along with Alobar and Switters. And yes, Amanda does happen to remind me a bit of one of my fave cousins....

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm missing the lisp & the curves ;)

    ReplyDelete