Monday, July 23, 2012

Lauren's Word of the Day


Lackadaisical

Adjective: lacking enthusiasm and determination; carelessly lazy
i.e. lethargic (also a good word)


Admit it: “I was quite lackadaisical on Sunday afternoon” sounds way better than, “I was lazy and sat on my butt all afternoon on Sunday,” right?

I love this word. I learned it in 7th grade English class, and immediately liked it because it made me think of flowers. Yes, lying in a meadow of flowers on a soft sunny day being… lazy.  It makes being lazy sound so nice!

So the next time someone corners you about being lazy, you can reply, “I was just in a lackadaisical mood,” and the case against you will most assuredly be dropped. Either, because your accuser has no idea what lackadaisical means, or because they too imagine you sitting in a field of wildflowers passing the warm, breezy afternoon by lying in the grass and reading books and such…

 Hope you enjoyed my word of the day- I’m off to spend a lackadaisical summer evening in Oxford ;)

~Lauren

4 comments:

  1. I also love this word. I have been lackadaisical most of my life! Lauren, I love the way you think and I love the way you write! Can't wait to see your next offering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Aunt Sandy! I really like writing. And reading of course! A lot of my friends have been suggesting what I should read next, and right now I'm trying to decide between The Oath by Frank Peretti, The Magicians by Lev Grossman, or Little Women (Louisa May Alcott). Looking forward to choosing one and diving into another good book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've loved Little Women since I was 12 years old. Re-read it once in a while through the years. It would be a good choice but if you want a fast read -can't put the book down after a certain point -read GONE GIRL by Gillian Flinn. Carol is reading WILD Being lost and found on the pacific coast trail. SHe's loving it and it is next on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your word of the day, Lauren! Little Women is one of my all-time favorite books, I re-read it every year or so.

    ReplyDelete