Monday, July 9, 2012

Sandy's Favorite Word of the Week

I blame my being lax about blogging on the coke and popcorn website!  Lauren just let me know that in between studying and work she is watching Dexter and loving it.  I have watched Dexter religiously since the first season and love it.  The Dexter books bore me but the series doesn't stick to the premise of the books at all.  I guess I am going to have to start on the Games of Thrones now since Chris loves it so much.Don't forget about Shameless and Nurse Jackie. I have watched Breaking Bad religiously since the first season and love it.  Great writing. It is so nice to watch this show without commercials and on my own time. 
I have been reading a little and will post my new list soon.  Here is my word of the week, people. Anxious to see every one's favorite word of the week

copasetic  (cope' a set ic) agreeable

I am hoping that everything is copasetic for Chris in Ohio and that he will be revenate very soon. (?)

Get your word of the week on this blog Harrelson family!

On another note, I went to see my girl, Susan, yesterday and  we got to talking about books from childhood.  She said it was shocking to her that Brandon had never been read to much- not even WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE.  She said her friend Lindsay didn't know about THE GIVING TREE or any of the books that you kids cut your teeth on. It is unthinkable to me that children don't get introduced to books at a very young age.  I started buying classic children's books for Josh right after I found out I was pregnant and tucking them away in a drawer of my dresser for the future.  GOODNIGHT MOON, THE RUNAWAY BUNNY, THE VELVETEEN RABBIT,THE LITTLE RED HEN, ETC.   Josh and Susan also got read a great deal of books that Carol had bought for Chris and Kevin.  We never, ever got rid of a book.   I still have many of our favorites boxed up at my house.  I took a huge box of books to David when Bradley was about three years old and I hope they are all in David's attic now awaiting our next GreatGrandBaby. When Chris was little his favorite book was an old little book with the cover torn off.  I don't remember the title but  it was about a little man who drove a dump truck and at the end of his workday he would pick up different animals at different places and let them go for a ride.  When he brought them home he would" tip the dumper"and dump the animals out.  We read it of course, with lots of feeling and Chris would get so tickled every time you said "tip the dumper" and he could see the pictures of  the animals being dumped out! He loved it just as much when he heard it read the 600th time as the very first time.  No matter how many newer books we had Chris always found this little forlorn, well loved book with the cover torn off and presented it to you with a smile. I have great memories of reading to you kids.

One hot summer day when Kevin was about three and a half I went down to see him and Chris.  Chris had fallen asleep on the floor playing with his favorite little green army men and Kevin was in his Mama's lap being read to.  Piled up on the right side of her chair were the books they'd already read and discarded.  I'll bet there were 30 books in that pile! They'd been reading for quite a long time! I think all the reading we all did is what made all of you kids so, so smart. Books were always an important part of our lives and that came from PopPop.
He was very well read, an avid reader with many interests. Our love of reading is his legacy to us all.



What does this picture make you think of?






5 comments:

  1. Great post Sandy, brought back so many memories. I still love to read books for children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does this pic make me think of? uhmmm, scary underwater death? What about you? It is a pretty nice pic but gives me the willies just a little bit. And I agree pop pop had a huge influence on all of us reading, I think he would be proud we are all such active readers. One of the first 'adult' authors I ever really loves was Lewis Grizzard, and I still have a few of pop pop's original Grizzards. I also remember summers staying at gamama and pop pop's knocking out the readers digest condensed books. I remember the Giving Tree of course, and Goodnight Moon, but I have zero recollection of the animal dumptruck book. I got a very nice visual of Mom reading to Kevin for hours at a time with me passed out on the carpet amidst a pile of green plastic army men.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I have to get rid of everything in my house and I have boxes of Pop Pop's books. All the condensed books and novels. Let me know if you would like to have them. Maybe Kevin would be interested in some of them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Sandy, Dakota and I just finished the season 6 finale of Dexter.... oh my gosh!?!! Now we're just dying for the 7th season to come out at the end of September to see whats going to happen!! Also, been reading Ready Player One and am almost done with it, although no clue yet as to how to win the DeLorean... I'll keep ya posted ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren, Since Dex comes on Showtime on Sunday nights I believe each new episode will appear on c/p on Mondays. That's the way it worked with Nurse Jackie and it is a showtime show. Here are my must sees for you and KOdy: 1Nurse JAckie 2 Shameless 3Breaking Bad Phenominal tv. You go on ahead and win the Delorean,we'll all ride with you.

    ReplyDelete